10/19/11

Something Wicked This Way Comes written by Ray Bradbury - Ages 12+




Something Wicked This Way Comes

What's the Story?
What if someone discovers your secret dream, that one great wish you would do anything for? And what if that someone suddenly makes your dream come true--before you learn the price you have to pay? Something Wicked This Way Comes is the story of two boys who encounter the sinister wonders of Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show. They will soon discover the show's awful mystery--a mystery that will change the life of every person it touches--in this stunning masterwork of dark fantasy by Ray Bradbury.


What's the Buzz?
"Even though the age of the story is apparent, a taste for nostalgia is what sets this story apart, earning it the recognition that it deserves as a true timeless classic." - Teen Ink
"Bradbury uses an unusual style of prose that reinforces the darkness of the book. One of my few complaints with the book was that this style took some getting used to. For the first few chapters I found it distracting, if very effective in setting the tone. Soon you grow used to it, however, and the book becomes a nightmarishly gripping page-turner." - James Seidman @ SF Site
"There is something so delicious about Bradbury's style. I still don't know if I'm actually in love with the style or the content. I guess a bit of both." - Becky's Book Reviews

Opening Paragraphs for Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
 "I love the feeling of picking up a book, getting lost in its pages, and actually being transported into it's world; smelling it's smells, feeling the weather, seeing the sights, feeling the goosebumps. I felt like a child again when I was reading Something Wicked This Way Comes." - Stuff That Dreams Are Made On
"Although Bradbury never managed to shock me,  I found Something Wicked to be both creepy and engaging, an ageless tale about the differences between good and evil, and how we all have a little of each inside our souls." - In the Next Room
"Something Wicked is a compelling tale of good and evil, of friendship, fear, and ultimately, hope. The characters, as typical of a Bradbury story, are unique and well-drawn; by the end of the story, I felt I knew each one personally." - The Ink Slinger
Something Wicked This Way Comes is one of the best books that I have ever read. There is a real magic to the story and Ray Bradbury seems to be very in touch with what it is like to be boy, because of this the two boys in the story, Jim and Will, are very believable, though very different. - Steve Calvert

Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Graphic Novel

"Bradbury has assisted in the rebirth of several of his most famous tales into graphic-novel form. In expressive black and white, Wimberly’s interpretation of the death of innocence by means of a nightmarish encounter with a traveling circus is among the most successful." - Francisca Goldsmith @ School Library Journal 
"Overall, I thought this graphic novel could have been much better. Even when it was at its best, all it accomplished was to make me wish I were reading something else, either the original book, which I suspect was quite a bit better, or any graphic novel that it reminded me of."- Familiar Diversions

Where can I learn More?
Looking for Ray Bradbury's biography or bibliography?  Try the authors official site


Artist Ron Wimberly talks about adapting the story to graphic novel here & here and
Tor Books has a 16 page preview of the graphic novel here


If you're doing a book report on the novel, maybe these SparkNotes can help you get a better grade.  Unless, of course you waited till the last minute again and didn't really read the book.  Yeah, you know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment